One of the great benefits of a Clarion home inspection is that we will always be here to answer your questions!
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions we often hear from our clients:
- How long has your company been in business?
- Clarion Home inspections have been conducting professional home inspections since 2008. Our company is a limited corporation and a member of the BC Better Business Bureau. Raul Poole has been invilved in the residential construction industry since the late 1970's and has completed over 2500 home and building inspections to date.
- What are your qualifications?
- Our inspections are completed by a trained, certified, and fully insured professional dedicated to providing outstanding service and complete information packages. Raul Poole is a certified journeyman carpenter and college graduate who has completed the Carson Dunlop Home Inspection Training Program, the most widely recognized training program for home inspectors in Canada.
Our company is also a member of the largest association of professional home inspectors in Canada. As such, our team receives regular training to hone our skills and keep up to date on industry changes and standards.
- What do you look at?
- Our goal is to provide our clients with a complete picture of the buildings we inspect and our inspection strategy is simple – we go everywhere and test everything! Our services include the evaluation and operation of all installed systems and components at all accessible areas of the building, including attics and crawlspaces.
Examples of the systems and components evaluated during our inspections and described in our inspection reports include the following: Roof Structure and Materials, Exterior Claddings and Surfaces, Driveways and Walkways, Foundations and Building Structure, Electrical Systems, Heating & Cooling Systems, Plumbing Systems, Insulation Materials, Ventilation Systems, etc., etc. You can look high and low but you will be hard pressed to find a more thorough inspection company than Clarion Home Inspections.
- How much does an inspection cost?
- A home inspection in this part of the world will most often cost between $400 and $500, depending on several factors (size, age, location, etc.). The fees our company charges are on par with our competitors and are most often at the lower end of that scale. Some newer or part time inspectors may complete home inspections for as little as $300 but may not be as thorough or as experienced as they could be. Clients should be aware that in the home inspection game, as with life in general, there is no free lunch and people generally end up getting what they pay for.
Our opinion is that it should be of more importance to focus on the value of the services received, rather than focusing on just the amount that will be spent. A Clarion home inspection will cost a tiny fraction of the purchase price of your home but will be among the best values you find during your house-hunting journey.
- If it's really bad, will you tell us not to buy the house?
- Our goal is to provide an complete and unbiased information that accurately describes the condition of the building at the time of inspection. Our job is to provide our clients with the information they need to make informed decisions and what they decide to do beyond that point is not up to us. We are not Realtors or Property Appraisers rarely know background details involved in property purchases. Giving an opinion as to the wisdom of any property purchase would not only be beyond the scope of our services, it would be unethical.
- Can I follow along?
- Of Course! We always recommend that our clients meet us at the site, if possible. Many of our customers tell us this is the highlight of the home inspection process. When else will you get the benefit of a one-on-one session with a professional building consultant who will happily answer your questions and provide tips for keeping your home in tip-top condition. Whenever possible, we recommend that our clients arrive for a summary towards the end of the inspection that usually takes around 45 minutes.
- How long does an inspection take?
- A typical home inspection takes between 3 and 4 hours to complete. Inspection reports are completed back at the office and add an extra couple of hours to the job. Some older or larger homes can take longer while smaller homes may take a bit less time to complete.
- What areas do you cover?
- Clarion Home Inspections provides services throughout the North Okanagan and Shuswap regions. Some of the places we inspect include:
- Salmon Arm
- Blind Bay
- Scotch Creek